Monday, August 15, 2011

If This Clay Mask Were a Man, I'd Marry it

I couldn't sleep the other night, so I ended up window-shopping the skincare goods on Amazon. Somehow, I stumbled upon a product called Aztec Secret Indian Healing Clay. I was immediately attracted to the mystical sounding name- I envisioned witch-doctors using the clay to heal their patients' wounds... (It was 3 AM, okay- I was delirious.)

Then, I noticed that this product had great reviews from over a hundred people who all swore that this stuff could get rid of everything from acne to poison ivy to spider bites. I was definitely intrigued and, after Googling it a bit more, I found out that this calcium bentonite clay has tons of uses and rave reviews all over the internet.




Apparently, when used as a mask, this clay powder "vacuum cleans" your pores- to the point that you feel like your face is getting sucked into a black hole for a few minutes. Crazy, right? I thought it was nuts. People said that they felt a pulsating sensation because their blood rushed to their faces from the force of the suction. I couldn't believe it, so I had to try it out for myself.

I woke up early the next morning, super excited, and drove to Whole Foods to pick up a tub of this clay powder. It only cost me $7 for a 1lb. tub so I was ecstatic... and hopeful. My skin was on the verge of breaking out (I had lumps and bumps all over my face- clogged pores on their way to becoming zits) and I had heard that this mask would help heal them quickly.

The directions say that you can mix the powder with water or raw apple cider vinegar, but I knew from my research that the acid in the ACV is what created that strong "vacuum" sensation. Unfortunately,  I forgot to buy Braggs Apple Cider Vinegar (organic and not watered down), so I ended up buying some regular ACV, which is watered down to 5% acidity.




Braggs Apple Cider Vinegar, $5, Vitamin Shoppe or Amazon.com



After steaming my face for about 5 minutes, I mixed the clay powder with the ACV and applied it to my face. The directions said to layer it on 1/4-1/2" thick, but I guess my measurements were off because my boyfriend took one look at me and said I had wayyyy too much on. I looked like a frosted cake. (Oh, well, next time I'll mix up a smaller batch... I did 1/4 cup powder and 1/4 cup ACV but I guess you only need a teaspoon or two of each. Oops.)

It took forever to dry, since it was so thick, and I didn't feel much of that tightening sensation I was promised. Doo doo. After I removed the clay, I didn't think that my skin didn't look much different except that my face was splotchy and red... BUT the pores on my nose were invisible (which no other product has been able to do). I was still a little disappointed, though. I washed my face with my L'Oreal RevitaLift Radiant Smoothing Cream Cleanser, applied my Neutrogena Anti-Wrinkle Cream moisturizer and went to bed.

***The next morning... HOLY CRAP! I looked in the mirror and my skin looked AMAZING! Like I had gotten a facial! It was smooth as a baby's butt, poreless, and more even-toned than it had been since I was 16. 95% of the clogged pores were gone. I couldn't believe it! If this is what happens when I didn't even use full-strength ACV and put so much on that it wouldn't dry, I can imagine that the results can only get better once I do it right.

I HIGHLY recommend trying this mask (at $7 what do you have to lose? and 1 tub will last you forever!). Just make sure you use it right before going to bed, since your face will be red and splotchy for about 20 minutes after using it. I'm going send tubs of this stuff out to my sisters and friends!

Short and Sweet: This clay powder is like a facial in a jar!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...